Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few years, Google has been responsible for a LOT of what's been going on with the internet for quite a while. They've made humongous strides in making it easier for us to search the internet for cats, cool pictures, interesting wikipedia articles, fun blog posts, that viral youtube video your co-worker told you about and pornography...
ANYWAY, barring that, I just discovered something interesting when I pulled up the google homepage in chrome; I can search with my voice! The search field now has a microphone icon that you can click on and chrome will record your voice from your handy microphone.
I gave it a try just a few minutes ago and it works really well. I looked up reviews for the new HTC incredible 2, boobs, abraham licoln, jonathan coulton, captain america...the list goes on of all the things I tried to look up. The only thing the search field stumbled on was when I looked up the chiptune band "Anamanaguchi"
Overall, the added ability to look up stuff with your voice worked 95% of the time; just another cool gift from google to make our lives just a bit easier and to make it that much easier for them to enslave us when they decide to take over the world.
Who needs this: Um...folks who hate typing? People who are looking up music lyrics, people who lack hands?
Give it a try! You can play a fun drinking game where you take a drink every time google fails to understand what you were looking for!
Until next time:
- J

I've never found voice activation that useful, perhaps because I always feel especially dorky over-enunciating my words in the hopes that the computer will understand. It's been kind of neat in the car when my hands are actually busy, but on my computer or phone when I have access to other input devices? I'm not sure how needed it is.
ReplyDelete