Saturday, June 25, 2011

TV show: Wilfred (FX series)

Well...that was interesting.  One thing for sure; FX has some great minds deciding what sort of shows are on their network.  

Wilfred was originally broadcast in Australia, and went the way of "The Office" with an American spinoff starring Elijah Wood and Jason Gann as Ryan and Wilfred respectively.  

Ryan is depressed 20-something slacker that is tired of people always telling him how to live his life and one day after trying to unsuccessfully kill himself, begins to see his attractive neighbor's dog as man in a dog costume.  If you're getting flashbacks to Fight Club; don't worry, I am too.  Don't get me wrong though, I really liked the first episode.  

Elijah wood is great as the depressed Ryan and Gann, reprising his role from the australian version, is hilarious as an anthropomorphized Wilfred.  When promos were being cut for the show, Queen's hit single "You're my best friend" was used and it really fits the tone of the series.  You get the impression that, like fight club, wilfred is Ryan's id, representing his insecurities and his desires...however, your Id usually isn't responsible for so much trouble...

From the first episode, I really enjoy the story and interaction between Wood and Gann and this gives the series a lot of potential.

Along with Archer, this is another FX show that I would definitely recommend.

Rating: 4 out of 5 (it was just the first episode)

Until next time:

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment